Monday, May 11, 2015

Celtic Princess Braided Scarf from Yarn & Thread Expressions - Day 3

Chunky or Clunky?

I have to say, applying my Chunky Method daily goals to my knitting has been working well.  I don’t stress about whether or not I’ll get the project done on  time, which is exactly the benefit my Chunky Method gives to writing.  I’m not sure, however, if it would apply as perfectly to another project—say, a top down shawl where the rows get longer and longer or switching lace patterns to something more complicated.  This scarf is a long rectangle of identical cable repeats, and as such lends itself to calculations.

Cables are deceptively simple.  If you pay attention and follow the instructions, the hardest thing you have to do is pop a few stitches onto a spare needle and hold them out of the way.  

Until, that is, you mess up. Then, cables are killer.

Here I was, happily stitching along on my daily goal, pleased with my progress.  Then I noticed the egregious error several rows down.  One of those too big to leave be errors that sends your gut down out the soles of your comfy hand-knit socks.

Tinking cables is murderously tedious.  Undoing those twists makes me grunt and frown. And that’s not even the hardest part.   No, for me, the hardest part is figuring out which blasted row you’ve landed on when you start up again.  My anguish went something like this:

It’s got those purls right there.  It must be row 3.  Knit row three.  No, that looks wrong. Tink row while gritting teeth.  It can't be any of the even rows, so it must be row 5 with those 4 purls. Knit row 5.  No, that looks wrong, too.  Tink row 5 while saying bad words. Repeat for 1.25 grueling hours until every possible row has been tried and restoration has been achieved.


I’m back on track, but it hasn’t been fun.  “Chunky” is feeling more like “Clunky” today.  But I press onward!

No comments: