Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Meet me at The Ryman Wrap from Haus of Yarn - Day 1

Projected bliss...

New projects are one of the knitting life’s greatest pleasures.  It’s all about the texture and the color, you haven’t botched any rows yet, and the pattern photo calls to you like a siren.  It’s going to be so perfect when you finish it.  It’s going to be so much fun. You can't wait to start.

The pattern calls for #6 needles, but Meg suggested using #4’s to get the right gauge. I ended up splitting the difference and going with #5.  Being a larger gal, I tend to upsize my needles a bit on most projects to get the scale my broad shoulders need.

Either way, it’s going to take soooooo many rows to do a full shawl in these tiny needles!  Yes, I’m stressing a bit about that, but calming myself with the fact that several feet of this is pure stockinette, and I’ve gotten pretty fast thanks to my mad continental skills.  Still, I’m wondering if I can whip up a cross-country road trip just to ensure I get enough knitting time.  I’ve got a nifty little event in San Antonio in November…maybe I should get my husband to drive?

Seriously, I like that this pattern takes its motif from a real place.  You can see the reflection of the famous Ryman Auditorium windows.

The fiber, Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal, feels so authentic.  Wooly but not scratchy, just a hint of other colors among all that rich chocolate brown.  Warm, yet light.  Perfect for a fall afternoon or evening.


I found it essential, given the dark yarn and my knack for mistakes, to mark each repeat of the window motif with stitch markers.  Those yarn-overs have to line up perfectly or the windows won’t look right, and no one wants to get to the end of a row only to discover something went “off” forty stitches back. Eyeball it if you want, but this knitter’s putting in the safeguards so she isn’t pulling her hair out later.

No comments: