Thursday, November 26, 2015

Pine Cone Cowl from Flying Fingers - Day 1

Pine Tree pop culture...

Two things come immediately to mind as I contemplate casting on this project, and both of them are pop culture references.

The first comes from the fiber - baa ram ewe (the lower case letters are their idea).  It’s a British establishment, Yorkshire and Leeds to be exact, which sounds so quintessentially English to me.  Of course, those three syllables bring up one of the most iconic moments in livestock  cinema:



I don’t think I can never look at the label without hearing the words bleated in my head. Still, it’s a lovely fiber.  I’m just tickled by the description on their website: A delicious blend of Wensleydale and Bluefaced Leicester wool, combined with a touch of magical UK Alpaca in homage to philanthropist and Yorkshire mill owner Sir Titus Salt.  Doesn’t it just make you crave a spot of tea?

The combination of this light, lofty yarn and big needles (#10.5!) let’s me know this will be super fluffy.  The fact that I’ve chosen a marshmallow white just adds to the effect.  So where does that send my brain?  Right here:




I’m not sure what it says about me that I have these two movie snippets running through my brain while I’m knitting.  But I’m happy, and isn’t that enough?

Too all my American followers, Happy Thanksgiving. And for everyone else--Happy Knitting! I'm thankful for you all.

No comments: