Sunday, February 12, 2017

Fili Top Down Convertible Mitts from Unraveled Sheep -- Day 1

Dig my mad new skills…

Two-at-a-time mittens with cables?? Clearly, I have a high opinion of my own knitting skills.

Well, humility’s never been my strong point, anyway.

Truly, I believe it’s good to stretch your abilities, and knitting is one of my favorite places to do that.  When I come across a pattern that is seven pages long, however, I admit to a gulp or two.

I shouldn’t really worry.  Sheila Toy Stromberg’s directions are clear and confidence-inspiring.  I confess, her mind-bending double staghorn cable makes me nervous—cables and I aren’t the best of friends.  But I yearn to improve that relationship, and the ingenious construction of these mitts has peaked my interest.

First step was to weigh the yarn so as to accurately divide into two balls.  Easy peasy.

Next, casting on for two ribbed bands at once took a YouTube video or two since it has been a long time since I’ve done a magic look two-on-one circ project.  I got it done, however, and set those aside per Sheila’s instructions.  How do they make it onto the mitts?  I’m not sure yet, but so far so good.

Now I set to learning Judy’s Magic Cast On.  A long-time fan of Jenni’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, I was delighted to learn this skill often associated with toe-up socks.  I am off and running!


Double staghorn cable, I’m up to your challenge….

No comments: