Sunday, June 25, 2017

Summer Shadow Shawl from Hemstitched Heirlooms - Day 1

Summer lovin'...

While I own many triangle shawls, crescent shawls are always my favorite.  Especially ones with pretty borders like this one.  It’s the perfect mix of basic stockinette adorned by an artful border.  It would be pretty in just about any fiber, but the deep, rich colors of this Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20 merio/cashmere/nylon blend will make this a favorite, I’m sure.

I had the pattern for the stockinette portion down to memory within a dozen rows of starting. That’s useful, because not having to look down at instructions always makes for faster work.  

I find the double yarn-over to be a clever way to solve the too-tight edge problem many crescent shawls have. It feels easier than the add-a-stitch, drop-it-next-row tactic that so many patterns use.

This yarn, with its striking colors, soft spring, and slight halo of color, reminds me of madelinetosh.  The halo of color seems to add so much depth to the stitches in simple stockinette.  I’m looking forward to how they enhance the lacework border when I get there.


And I will get there.  But for right now, I’ve got a lot of stockinette to get through.  Onward!

No comments: