Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Knit Along: Herringbone Neck Warmer from Nina - Day 1

Today we move on to the second Knit-Along from our Chicago visit: Nina's Herringbone Neck Warmer

Why hyper-imaginative writers should perhaps not knit in public...

This is one of those super bulky yarn patterns that offers instant gratification because you knit up half a foot in minutes. The exact opposite of patience-testing tiny-needled lace. Even the fact that I had to start it twice--the herringbone stitch has a few tricky twists by making you do extra things to the slipped stitches before you let them off the left-hand needles--didn’t dampen my enthusiasm.

One problem--and trust me, it’s probably not one you’ll encounter: the yarn. The Twinkle Soft Chunky yarn takes my highly imaginary brain in to an odd place. As I’m sitting in the doctor’s office, enjoying my super-bulky-quick results, I decide it looks like I’m knitting with...well, earthworms. I know, it’s dumb, but the yarn is exactly the right diameter. Perhaps the fact that I have this wonderful, lush purple isn’t helping. But it’s a great color. I love the color. I want to wear it now even before its finished. This is not at all an earthworm-y...ur...earthworm-ish yarn. It’s a fab yarn. It’s mod and trendy and artisan--all the things I love about fiber. Soft and decadent against my fingers.

It’s just a function of diameter. So what do I do about the image that’s locked itself in my brain? Well, nothing. Which leaves me giggling in a very undignified manner while knitting...

...with long purple earthworms. Long purple earthworms I’m eager to wear around my neck the moment I’m finished. Soft, lush lengths of a rich fuscia-purple that will be bound up an the most delectable ribbon you’ve ever seen. I’ll tell you, every earthworm should have it this good.

Quick, destiKNITers, give me another image. Come up with something the diameter of a pencil, an earthworm, a Twizzler...hey that’s it, an endless Twizzler. A soft, lush, silky Twizzler...hmm...

No comments: