Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brady Scarf from Ruhama’s - Day 1


A cool scarf is one of life’s great pleasures.  

A cool scarf that’s easy yet stunning?  Definitely worth hunting down.

Good thing lots of cool knitting comes to me (not that I don’t enjoy a good fiber hunt!) in this nifty recommendation for my new friends at Ruhama’s.  I’ve been knitting Sally Brandl’s “Brady Scarf” in several public places, and I’m always stopped and asked to explain the pattern.

If you’re looking to expand your cast-on tool box, this pattern uses two.  The first cast on should be done with the long tail (my personal favorite) to ensure good elasticity.  The trademark holes, however, are accomplished with the backward loop cast-on.  Make sure you follow the directions on how to count stitches in the bind-off and cast-on rows closely, or you’ll end up with too many stitches.

While this is a highly portable pattern, the store ball is big enough to fight being stuffed into my handbag (I like to keep my knitting close at all times).  I started to wind it into to smaller, more portable balls, but quickly stopped myself.  The Kauni colorway--which is key to this scarf--is too continual to allow easy dividing.  Even if you pulled from the inside, the subsequent yardage would be on the inside of the second ball.  The only way you could manage it--and I’m not sure this is practical--would be to have two flat balls (i.e. the ones wound from a mechanized winder) and pull from the inside of both.

The holes lay out nice and distinct, which makes me happy.  My other scarf with holes doesn’t show the detail well, and you know me, I like to show off.

No comments: