Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Asheville Scarf from Friends & Fiberworks - Day 1

Say hello...

It’s rather satisfying to have met the people who make the yarn you’re using.  In the same way I adored meeting the alpaca who “donated” their fleece to my mittens, I feel a special pleasure in having met Lisa and knowing that her husband dyes the yarn on my needles. It's the knitting version of having the chef come say hello at the restaurant.  As an author, I deeply relate to the “here, I made this for you,” vibe that comes when artists connect with their customers or fans. After all, we who create do so to share. Yarn is created to be knit in the same way my books are written to be read. It’s a connective process.

I’m delighted to start a top down shawl without that pesky garter tab business. I never get it right. The simple increase employed by this pattern means I am off and running in the first handful of rows.  No pattern consultation needed after the first half-hour!  I can go nearly the entire row without looking down, and that’s especially useful in seminars and meetings.


You can tell this is wool. It has the spring, and at the moment, it has the scratch. This is a sturdy fiber.  Not much "ahh” factor between the fingers, but the lush colors and the promise of a softer post-wash texture make it worth the process.  

I’m looking forward to the finished product.

No comments: