Monday, January 23, 2017

Great Prismatic Cowl from Spinnin' Yarns--Day 5

The penultimate step...

This was a very long bind off.  

A can’t finish it all in one day my fingers are cramping long bind off. Made even longer by the fact that I chose to use my favorite bind off, Jenny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, so each of the nearly 300 stitches had to be worked through three separate steps.  A total of 834 steps, by my count.

I’m always impatient with bind-offs.  I never like the last step of anything.  I don’t mind putting wash in the washing machine or transferring it to the dryer, but I loathe taking it out of the dryer and folding it.  I don’t mind loading the dishwasher (too much) but find it a much more unpleasant task to unload it.  I love to make plans but find the execution wearisome.  I love Mondays but am often frustrated by the unsatisfying closure of a Friday where I didn’t get everything done.  I’m forever leaving cabinet doors open, things on the table, items out instead of neatly put away.  A friend believes this is a peculiar form of ADHD, but I think this is just the unique character of ALLIE.

On the upside, one of my frustrations with bind-offs is that they frequently don’t quite match the cast-on, either in appearance or tension.  Since the one continuous bind-off means it’s all bind-off, that’s not an issue here—everything matches.  I have to admit, that’s nice.


I find the cowl a bit rustic and bumpy at the moment, but it hasn’t been blocked, so that’s not a fair assessment.  There’s the final step to go.  

This could be one last step I really do enjoy.  Stay tuned.

No comments: