Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Great Prismatic Cowl from Spinnin' Yarns--Day 3

Stitch and sniff...

I’ve discovered something between this project and my last linen stitch project.

I’m not a big fan of the linen stitch.

The thing I like most about the majority of shawls, scarves, and cowls that I knit is the drape.  I rarely go for the chunky projects—I like the finer ones, the lacy but not fussy stuff.  While I’m a big fan of texture, linen stitch feels to me like all texture and no stitch.  All those bumps and nubs!  

And for whatever reason, linen stitch feels like too much work to me.  I can’t explain it; the quick-as-a-wink slipped stitch should make up for all that switching the yarn back and forth, and this isn’t that much different than a 1x1 or 2x2 rib, but it feels like more work.

In this cowl’s defense, I am coming down with a cold, and I’m cranky.  So there’s that.

Also in this cowl’s defense is it’s stunning color.  It really is a balm to my spirit to work a bright, clear color on a cloudy, wet, cold Chicago January day.  We do seem to specialize in especially dreary winters in Chicago, so this stunning teal-turquoise was an ideal therapeutic choice. The vibrant, almost tropical play of hues is just what I need right now.


Well, that and some NyQuil.  

No comments: