Wednesday, June 17, 2015

June Readers Who Knit: Susan Lutz Kenyon

It’s time to meet our Readers Who Knit for June.  DestiKNITters, meet Susan Lutz Kenyon.

Susan tells me she crocheted this necklace!
Susan, whats on your needles right now?
I just finished a jacket from Sally Melvilles book, The Purl Stitch.  Using size 13 needles I knit with one boucle yarn and one chenille together.  It was finished a while ago but when I went to sew it together, I noticed a mistake with one sleeve and had to re-knit it. 

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
Learning to knit.  I taught myself to crochet in 1967 and am a charter member of Crochet Guild of America.  In 2002 I decided to learn to knit because my aunt, who had knit for me, my children, and grandchildren, was in her 90s. I wanted to show her her legacy would go forward.  Continental knitting works best for me.

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice youve ever made?
The first sweater I knit was, again, from a Sally Mellville book, The Knit Stitch.  I love the sweater but, according to the pattern, the right and left fronts are each a different length and each is different from the back length.  When I tell people this is the first sweater I knit, they usually say oooooh as that explains the uneven lengths.  I feel I should carry a picture of the pattern to show I knit it correctly but I just laugh.

Straight or circular needles?  
Circular

Metal or wood needles? 
Mostly metal but it depends on the yarn.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate? 
White Chocolate

Coffee or tea? 
I drink decaf green tea every morning.  I do like decaf coffee once in a while.

Whats your favorite Allie novel? 
A Heart to Heal.  This book felt personal to me for several reasons.  I have a scar from my knee to my ankle on my left leg from a fire when I was three years old. When I was in elementary school, girls couldnt wear slacks to school so I was teased.   Currently I knit and crochet for Project Linus servicing kids in crisis. I also started a prayer shawl group at my church.

What are you reading now? 
Girl Three by Tracy March and also All by My Selves by Jeff Dunham who is a very talented ventriloquist.

Do you have a favorite knitting character from a book, movie, or television show (Allie books not included)?
Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson is a fiction story about a woman who goes to Ireland to research a book on Irish knitting.  The back of the book says it has characters as complex and beautiful as the Irish sweaters at the heart of the story.  I absolutely agree.

Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
Three Bags Full
1927 Cherry Lane
Northbrook, IL

(The store was featured in this DestiKNITions post if you’d like to know more)

Thanks to DestiKNITions and Cascade Yarns, Susan gets some nice goodies for being featured, including a copy of Saved by the Fireman, a Cascade Totebag, and ten hanks of Cascade 220 in Azalea.  Her friend gets a copy of Bluegrass Courtship, too.  

If you'd like to be featured, send an email to allie@alliepleiter.com for application information.

No comments: