Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lucy Neatby’s Udderly Divine Bag from Orange Kitten Yarns - Day 3

But wait...there’s moooore...

Okay, that was a weak “moo” pun, but I couldn’t resist.  This is a lot of cow.


Of course, a high volume of cow is a pretty amusing prospect, so it’s a lot of fun cow.   Still, it always seems to take me far longer than I want to finish each row, and each day’s knitting never seems to get me as far as I want. 


The pace may be compounded by the fact that this isn’t a highly portable project.  I can’t just slip it into my handbag and whip it out at a meeting--the four yarn balls, pattern, and all that cow just don’t lend themselves to discreet knitting.  Once I get to the end of all this black-and-white and I’m down the rows of stockinette that comprise the pink udder and strap, that might change.  But I still think pulling a two-foot cow udder out of my knitting bag won’t exactly fade into the sidelines, no matter where I am.

On the upside, I have discovered a trick to help with the tangle factor.  When I sit down to knit, I keep the black yarn to the left of me and the white (well, okay, I believe the technical term is “Natural”) yarn to the right.  Since I hold a color in each hand--colorwork is one of the best reasons to master continental knitting so you can do just that--this placement seems to keep the two colors separate.  It effectively eliminates the tangling I was struggling with earlier.  If you’ve got other tricks for wrangling yarn on multi-color projects, by all means let’s hear them.

A completely unrelated note:  I saw THE LONE RANGER last night, and there’s a fun little knitting bit--tiny but clever--in the movie.

No comments: