Thursday, January 10, 2013

Color Affection Shawl from Bliss Yarns - Day 2


Color me obsessed...

So now it gets tricky.  The lose tension required for the edge was not to hard to maintain when I only had one color to deal with, but now I have to add carrying the colors.  Read enough blogs and Ravelry posts (over 7,000 projects listed when I looked tonight!) about how hard this is to do right, and a girl could get nervous.  Really, I could make the case that the top edge of the Color Affection shawl has become a bit of a knitter national obsession.  It’s like the federal debt:  everyone’s got an opinion on how it should be solved.

Given all the considerations, I’m rather glad that my first contrasting color doesn’t contrast that much.  Now, I confess to being fascinated with the endless color combinations possible for this pattern.  I was on a Delta flight yesterday and actually found myself thinking about how a red/white/blue version would look great with the flight crew’s uniforms!  Still, I’m glad I’m doing my first one with a forgiving mix of variegated and related solids.  My shawl will look more ombre than stripey, and I’m fine with that. 

You know what's going to happen, don't you?  It won't stop here. I’ll have to make another one to play with a high contrast trio.  Flags? The purple and white of my Northwestern University school colors? Traffic lights?  The red, buff, and green colors of my college house Alpha Gamma Delta?  Can you see how this has gotten to the point where no knitter can seem to stop at one shawl?

What have you done?  What combinations are you wanting to try?

No comments: