Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March Reader Who Crochets: Leslie McKee

It's that time again where we meet a reader who loves yarn as much as we do. DestiKNITters, say hello to Leslie McKee.

Leslie, what are you working on right now? 
I’m currently between projects, trying to decide what to do next. I was on an unexpected break for quite a few months due to an injury to my dominant hand/wrist. I tend to do most of my crocheting during football season, as I believe it helps my team, the NY Giants, win. And, as I was injured last season, I believe that played into their losing record. I love minions, so I’m considering how to use that for my next project. I haven’t made any hats yet, so I may try that … or perhaps try a minion amigurumi.

What feels like your favorite/greatest crochet accomplishment? 
It’d probably be finishing my first afghan.

What feels like the worst crochet mistake/foible/wrong choice youve ever made? 
I’d always been told to buy all your yarn at once. Well, I didn’t follow that advice once, and you can clearly see a patch in the afghan that’s slightly different due to the yarn being from a different batch. Thankfully, it was one I had planned to keep for myself.

Do you have a favorite yarn you like to work with? 
I generally stick with the brand my gram used to teach me to crochet: Red Heart. However, I’ve used a few different brands when going with softer yarn for a baby blanket.

Metal or wood crochet needles? 
Metal

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate? 
Without a doubt…dark chocolate! (I can eat milk chocolate, but I don’t like white chocolate at all.)

Coffee or tea? 
Tea, particularly herbal/decaf ones. My favorite splurge is pumpkin chai tea from my church.

Whats your favorite Allie novel? 
A Heart to Heal – I used to be a special education teacher, so I was able to have a bit of a personal connection to it.

What are you reading now? 
I’m always reading review books.  I just finished The Ringmaster’s Wife by Kristy Cambron (June release). I just started reading Small-Town Nanny by Lee Tobin McClain (June release) and Playing the Part by Jen Turano (March release).

Do you have a favorite stitching character from a book, movie, or television show? 
Mrs. Weasley in the Harry Potter books. She’s always making sweaters for her children and Harry. (I also like how Dumbledore mentions knitting patterns!)

Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store: 
I actually get the majority of my materials from 
Michaels 
2601 W Lake Ave B8
Peoria, IL 61615

Thanks to our friends at Cascade, Leslie gets 10 hanks of Cascade 220 in Caribbean and a copy of Bluegrass Hero.  She chose a copy of A Heart to Heal for her friend.  If you'd like to be featured in a future "Reader Who Knits/Crochets" post, send an email to allie@alliepleiter.com.

No comments: