Sunday, December 13, 2015

Pine Tree Cowl from Flying Fingers - Day 5

A cloudy pine tree...

I was nervous binding this off.  My usual go-to bind-off for this sort of thing, Jenny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, didn’t have the right look.  Another standard bind off (2tog, return stitch to left needle, 2tog, etc) had the right look, but isn’t especially stretchy.  Every time I do that one, it’s either too loose and gets ruffly and sloppy, or too tight and doesn’t match the cast-on edge.  I really like this piece and didn’t want to mess it up.  

I’m delighted to report that I didn’t botch it—by going slowly, carefully, and loosely, I managed to give the edge just the right amount of tension.  Or so I hope.  You never really know with something like this until you block it.

I’m rather fond of the ripply, puffy nature of this cowl right now.  Half of me wants to forgo blocking so that it keeps the current look that reminds me of clouds. Altocumulus, clouds to be exact (I looked it up for you).  Only we don’t truly see the lovely stitch pattern in its current state.  And I don’t like the way the edges look at the moment.  So into the blocking bath it goes.


How does it emerge?  You’ll have to wait and see.

No comments: