Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November Authors Who Knit: Mindy Klasky

I had the great pleasure of meeting Mindy in person at a writers conference recently.  I'm delighted to introduce this talented and charming knitting author to you!

Mindy, what’s on your needles right now?
I am currently working on a throw, a lap blanket of simple garter stitch squares, intended to keep me warm through the long winter nights. It's easy and quick, good for a mind distracted by all the work associated with bringing out the last books in my Diamond Brides Series!

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
Answer one:  Teaching myself to knit!  (My mother wouldn't teach me, because she knits continental and never knew anyone else who did. My friend tried to teach me, but she's left-handed.  YouTube to the rescue!)  I learned to knit because I married a man who loves baseball – and I had do to something to fill the time spent watching all those games.  (Ultimately, I wrote a romance series about baseball, too!)

Answer two:  My first lace shawl, where I taught myself how to increase and decrease – and then (over a year later, because I was terrified) how to block a finished piece.

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
Cringing at the price of the hand-dyed mercerized cotton yarn recommended for a shawl pattern I loved and choosing to go with a less expensive wool instead.  The shawl is lovely – don't get me wrong – but it doesn't have any of the magic or sheen of the recommended yarn.  (Which just means I need to make it again.  Or make something else.  Or both ☺)

Straight or circular needles?
Depends on the project, but usually straight.

Metal or wood needles?
I vastly prefer wood, but I own an inexpensive set of metal interchangeables that I use most of the time.  I'm thinking of splurging at my next big birthday, or career milestone, or something, and buying interchangeable wood needles to keep me happy forever.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
Dark.  But not above 72%.  I'm picky ☺

Coffee or tea?
Tea.  Lots and lots of tea.  (Right now I'm in love with Bigelow French Vanilla, but Lemon Lift was my first love ☺)

Have you written a knitting character?
Not yet.  But I'm planning one for my next series, Lawyers in Love.

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
As a romance author, I'm always fighting the battle, trying to get people to understand that my characters are imaginary, and that the things they do are not necessarily the things that I have done.

That said, the heroine in ALWAYS RIGHT is very similar to me in some ways – not in the being-bankrupted-by-her-gambling-addict-father ways.  And not in the accidentally-blackmailing-someone ways.  But Amanda Carter is a litigator who knows how to argue for what she wants.  I suspect that people who meet me now never suspect my deep, dark litigator past. ☺


Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store: 
I only get to my favorite yarn store on vacation, but it's:

Knitting Addiction
3708 N. Croatan Hwy #2
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949


If you'd like to know more about Mindy and her books, click on over to her website.

No comments: