Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February Authors Who Knit: Katie Startzman

Every once in a while we stray from knitting fiction authors to those lucky people who get to write all about knitting!  Here's one of those now.  Katie and I met at the Kentucky Book Fair last year where I picked up a copy of her nifty new book on knitted slippers.  I knew right away I'd want the DestiKNITters to meet this talented lady.
Katie, what’s on your needles right now?
I’m swatching all sorts of things for my next book project--many different textures and weights--it’s a fun process to just see the glimmer of new ideas come together. 
What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
I knit a sweater for my twin sister for our 30th birthday several (7) years ago, and it was really tough for me to keep it a secret from her. We share all our creative projects with each other. She was really surprised and pleased! More recently, coming up with 30 different styles of slippers for The Knitted Slipper Book was difficult and rewarding. 
What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
I bought a cheap set of interchangeable knitting needles and really should have saved up and bought some Addi Turbos. I curse my penny-pinching ways every time I use them.
Straight or circular needles?
Hmmm.. straights if I HAVE to choose one. Actually, double points. My size 10 1/2 Brittany wooden double point needles have knit miles of yarn--that’s the main size I use to knit worsted weight wool that will be felted. 
Metal or wood needles?
Wood, if I have to pick one. 
White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
Couldn’t be too dark for me!
Coffee or tea?
Coffee that someone else makes for me is my favorite morning drink.
Have you encountered a knitting character in a novel that you liked? 
Not really, I think there should be more knitting in novels! Or maybe I’m reading the wrong books. 
What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
When I mailed the samples to Japan for their “beauty shots” (the large images of the slippers with models...) some of them were still damp! I’m a bit of a last-minute worker.
Your Ravelry name: katiestartzman 
Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store: 
Rebelle
225 Rosemont Garden, Lexington, KY

IF you’d like to learn more about Katie, visit her website at  duofiberworks.com

No comments: