Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hiawassee Handwarmers from The Needle Nook - Day 1

There’s something about fingerless mitts that strikes at the very heart of why I knit.  They feel artistic and just a bit funky--especially in a soft, undulating color like this Malabrigo Arroyo provides.  

Thick and chunky mitts are warm and cozy, but the more delicate ones like these have a vintage, almost steampunk feel to them that makes me feel so very cool for wearing them.  Even my slightly pudgy, suburban mom self can manage a bit of panache with these tipping my sleeves.  For once, just once, I can feel as if I might out-cool the barista pulling my latest late.  Might.  No matter how winsome my wristwear, I doubt my sensible shoes will ever out-cool anyone at the coffee bar. (But hey, I bet my feet hurt less than theirs!)

Knowing my propensity for second sock syndrome--that paralyzing response that prevents knitters from crafting the second sock of any given pair--I opted to modify Arlene’s instructions and cast these on with the two on one circ method.  Tricky at first, but definitely worth it.  Because cables are involved, I read the pattern completely through (always a good idea but a step I too often skip), did a few calculations, and divided my circs with needle 1 on one side and needles 2 & 3 on the other.   The stretchy nature of the ribbing handles this unequal distribution beautifully.


I love the color and the texture. It’s a great start to a lovely accessory.

No comments: