Monday, October 7, 2013

Knitted Wire Cuff from Urban Arts + Crafts - Done!


Cuff 'em!

While I can’t yet call myself a big fan of knitted jewelry, I am glad to have made this foray into the craft.  I wore it to an awards dinner recently and received many compliments on it, especially when people learned I had made it myself.

Pros: 

  • It’s very comfortable--not at all scratchy and quite flexible.  
  • The magnets make it very easy to put on without any help, and I can’t say that of all the bracelets I own.  
  • It’s unique and original, which I always like in accessories.


Cons:  

  • I find myself wishing I had made the narrower version and placed the beads more densely.  It’s feels like too much of a statement piece to wear everyday, and I think I would wear it more often if it didn’t feel so “standout.”
  • Despite its flexibility, I’m worried it will get bent out of shape or develop nasty kinks in the “fabric.”


This would make an excellent weekend adventure for a knitting group or knitting retreat, provided the knitters had enough experience to knit with wire.  I wouldn’t foist this on beginners--it’s a bit too frustrating.

This project completes our visit to Kansas City.  Next up, we’ll meet three of Atlanta’s many yarn shops and have a few adventures.

No comments: