Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September Authors Who Knit: Amy Alessio


It's time to meet this month's author who knits, Amy Alessio!

Amy, what’s on your needles right now?
I have three going projects at the moment: my portable baby hat project, a large ripple afghan for my niece at college, and another checkerboard blanket for a church ministry.


What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
For years at the library where I work I helped coordinate a teen charity knitting group. With that group one year we made dozens of baby hats. I tried to match them and made about 42. Inspiring 30 girls to knit over time really felt good.

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
When I’m working on squares for a community blanket, mine never turn out the size needed, no matter how many times I’ve used those needles and that yarn. Recently I was doing a big square with a pink ribbon for a breast cancer awareness fundraiser and had to rip it out and go two needle sizes smaller. It turned out better the second time, though!

Straight or circular needles?
Circular – otherwise my couch seems to eat the straight ones.

Metal or wood needles?
I do like the Teflon ones with the big projects for sliding stitches forward. I like the shorter straight wooden ones for scarves and quick projects.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
Yes, please.

Coffee or tea?
Tea (getting up to get more). 

Have you written a knitting character? 
I am working on a new series of short stories with a character who enjoys doing vintage patterns and crafts. She likes to knit. 

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
My fall 2013 publication will be a teen mystery called Taking the High Ground (from 4RV Press). Joelle is a sixteen year old girl who is embarrassed by her family’s Civil War reenacting hobby and there are descriptive scenes of the elaborate hoop skirt dresses. No one would suspect that my husband and I did reenacting for years and really enjoyed it!

Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
119/121 N. Main Street
Wheaton, IL 60187


DestiKNITters, if you'd like to learn more about Amy, her books, and her Vintage Cookbooks and Crafts blog visit her website at  www.amyalessio.com

No comments: