Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April Authors Who Knit: Missy Tippens

This month on Authors Who Knit, I get to welcome one of my Love Inspired colleagues, Missy Tippens.  You'll be especially pleased to know her book features every knitter's dream: inheriting a yarn shop!


Missy, what’s on your needles right now?
First, let me say I’m basically a beginner. So I’m still working on a simple scarf I started when I joined a new Yarners group at my church over a year ago. I’ve sat next to Allie at book signings and watched her knit, so I’m in awe of those of you with so much talent!

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment?
So far, my biggest accomplishment has been watching my first simple scarf take shape. It’s actually looking like something now!

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made?
Over 25 years ago, when I first learned to knit, I made the mistake of taking on a sweater as my first project. I only finished one sleeve and quickly got discouraged. I didn’t knit again until I picked it back up a year ago.

Straight or circular needles?
Straight.

Metal or wood needles?
Bamboo. 

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?
Milk. But it must come with caramel and nuts (aka Snickers).

Coffee or tea?
Coffee—strong enough to walk, with lots of flavored creamer and Truvia.

Have you written a knitting character? 
My most recent release, Georgia Sweethearts, features a heroine with absolutely no crafting ability whatsoever who inherits a yarn shop. She re-learns to knit during the story, and barely finishes a scarf. (Sound familiar?) I had a lot of fun re-learning along with her!

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book?
I had to cut a couple of scenes and merge chunks of other scenes at the beginning of the story to make suggested edits that would stay within the expected word count. That was quite a job! But the book is much better than the first version. I appreciate my editor!

Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
So far, I’ve only visited Hobby Lobby and Michael’s once each for yarn and needles. But my sister, a lover of yarn and fabric shops, introduced me to the wonderful shop that became the inspiration for the setting for Georgia Sweethearts. I can’t wait to visit again for my next knitting project! (Yes, that is spoken with the hope that I will one day finish my scarf.)
Main Street Yarns and Fibers
100 S. Barnett Shoals Rd. 
Watkinsville, GA 30677
706-769-5531

If you'd like to learn more about Missy and her other books, visit her website at www.missytippens.com.

Next up, DestiKNITions makes a return visit to Wisconsin!

1 comment:

Missy Tippens said...

Allie, thanks for having me today!