Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March Authors Who Knit: Donita K. Paul


The third Wednesday of the month brings us another author who shares our love of yarn and needles.  DestiKNITters, meet inspirational author Donita K. Paul!

Donita, what’s on your needles right now? 
Ha! Which pair of needles? One has bright, primary colors that will be a monkey’s scarf. He’s a toy sock monkey. He already has a hat, mittens, and boots.
Another set of needles has a huge patchwork afghan. I live in a basement MIL apt. I call it my Hobbit Hole, and it’s charming, but chilly. And I’m making little knitted bags that hold one bar of soap. You hang them up in the shower and use them like those little net puffs.

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment? 
For one Christmas, I made twenty-seven fancy yarn scarves for presents.

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice you’ve ever made? 
Capes and ponchos. They’re pretty, make up quickly, but I never wear them after I’m done.

Straight or circular needles? 
I’ve used both and those plastic weaving frames. It really depends on the project. If I’m not thinking about it, I grab needles.

Metal or wood needles? 
Metal

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?  
ALL chocolate.

Coffee or tea? 
Coffee, then tea. I particularly like Chai.

Have you written a knitting character? 
Yes, Bixby in One Realm Beyond (out in 2014). Bixby does everything from knitting to embroidery. And because it’s a fantasy, she shapes the string or fabric without tools. Neat trick, huh?

What’s the last thing anyone would suspect about your most recent book? 
Several characters are based on real life people in my sphere of friends and family. One dragon has the personality of a TV star.

Donita's favorite local yarn store: 
Hobby Lobby
5994 Barnes Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80922
According to Donita, the extra perk is that it's right next door to Mardel Christian Book Store


If you'd like to get to know more about Donita and her books, click here to visit her website.

No comments: