Sunday, December 9, 2012

Spiral Pouch from A Knitted Peace - Day 3


Hey, look at that body...

Well, I survived the construction of the body.  I’m still stumped as to how these two large “stripes” of waste yarn figure in, but I’ve been assured it will all work out.  There comes a time in every knitter’s life where you have to decide if you trust the designer or not.  I’m choosing optimism here, and trusting the designer. I’ve no intention of carrying around a darling purple bag mutilated by turquoise stripes, and I see no evidence of such mutilation on my sample.  As to just how we get there from here?  Well, you’ll just have to stick around and see.

Like socks, this is a quick and portable pattern.  They include instructions for sizing it up, but this small size seems to be perfect for a gift card or other such present in need of a little panache.  It fits snugly into my handbag for knitting on the go.  I have an adorable short little set of plastic #8 needles--I think they were originally made for children--that are the perfect size for this project and don’t take up much room.  Here’s a shot of them next to a quarter, so you get a sense of their size.  The old trick of using double-points with a rubber band wrapped around one end would work just as nicely, too.

I’ve opted to swap them out for my long, trusty Signature needles for the finishing steps however, which I’ve chosen to do flat rather than in-the-round.  A decision influenced primarily by the practicalities of not owning a set of #8 double-pointed needles at the moment.  

Good thing Christmas is coming.  I think I’ll make a list of all the dpn’s I’m currently lacking and tell Santa.  What’s on your holiday knitting wish list this year?

No comments: