Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Autumn Scarf - DONE!


Autumn is here...

...around my shoulders if not quite yet on the calendar.

The scarf is like the sheep--cute, but wooly.  It’s a bit shorter than I like my scarves, but that may be more a function of my mistake than the pattern...I have a feeling my small miscalculation made the piece shorter and fatter than it would have been if I’d used the same amount of yarn and knit correctly. Still, it’s a smart and versatile cross between a scarf and a shawl. I’m still flat-out in love with the color.

It reminds me a lot of the other garter-stitched shawls I’ve done, the Pimpelliese and the Davis Street Shawl.  Garter stitch makes for a warm and practical garment, but I need a bit of panache to make it work for me.  Like the other two, this scarf gives the border a bit of pop.  The asymmetrical design takes getting used to, but offers several clever tying options that again take the style up a notch.

These photos were taken pre-blocking, so I’m curious if the piece will change dramatically when it takes a bath. I’ll keep you posted.  

Even now, it’s a lovely keepsake of a great trip to Raleigh and the Carolina Fiber Fest.  Yarn always makes the best souvenirs, don’t you think?

No comments: