Saturday, November 19, 2011

Knit Along: Schmetterling Shawl from Mia Bella - Day 1


Shawl love...

It’s hard to go wrong when you start with a beautiful yarn. The camera is simply not doing the Ella rae Lace Merino’s colorway any justice--it’s a lovely turquoise  with yellow, green and teals dancing through it.   Add Adrienne Ku’s lovely lace pattern that shows it off, and things just go from good to great.  Especially with lace, you know you are on to a good pattern when it looks good even before you block it.  
This design has what I consider to be an optimum density balance--not so lacy that it’s only good for adornment (i.e. it won’t keep your bare shoulders warm in the air conditioning), but not so sturdy that you feel you ought to be walking beside a Conestoga wagon.  The yarn is light enough to be delicate, but no so frail as to become a tangle-fest when you wind it into a ball or--heaven forbid--have to frog a couple of rows because you were too busy watching Castle to pay attention to what you were doing.  Not that I’d know that or anything...

And it’s a shawl.  And oh, you know I love shawls.  I always have.  It’s a good thing they’re “in” now, because I’m sure I’m stubborn enough to still wear them if ever they go out of style.  Keep that eccentricity up long enough, and I’ll become that weird tall lady down the block.  You know the kind--the one your Mom tells you to stay away from.  


Sure, I’ll buy her books but let’s not go so far as to invite that looney to dinner.  She’s one of those creative types. An art-eest.  Wears shawls.

Why yes, I wear shawls.  All the time.  So watch what you say....

...or you’ll end up in one of my books.

No comments: