Monday, July 4, 2011

Knit Along: Pimpelliese Shawlette from Grinny Possum - Day 2

So is that a good thing or a bad thing?

There’s so much garter stitch in this pattern that I’ve forced myself to learn how to yarn-over and K2tog in continental style so that I can whip through it.  Especially with this size needles, it really does speed things up.  
The other pattern alteration I did was to add a slip stitch or selvedge edge at the neckline.  I tend to find regular garter stitch ends bumpy and uncomfortable against my neck, and I like the smooth look of thisedging.  The yarn texture is fabulous, though--soft and smooth and springy--so you’d be fine without it.
I must confess, however, to some misgivings about my choice of color.  Now that I look at it, the sawtooth trim edge reminds me entirely too much of a dragon’s tail (I realize this may be a plus for some readers).  Well, either that, or Kermit the Frog’s neck--again a function of this particular color.   I love Kermit, I wore a Kermit watch until I was 26, and I own The Muppet Show on DVD, but I am a bit worried this will prove too much even for me.  
Still, I soldier on in the hopes that the other side of the triangle will redeem my imagination’s attachment to these unfortunate metaphors.  Occupational hazard of authors I suppose--we’re always thinking “that looks like....”.

No comments: