Saturday, June 11, 2011

Knit Along: Arched Gusset Sock from FiberWild - Day 6

Yep, it’s officially hard now.  I think there’s a wrinkle or two in my forehead with “Arched Gusset Socks” inscribed in its creases.  Don’t get me wrong, the finished product is completely worth the effort, but there is serious effort required.  I think that’s a good thing.  I think stretching one’s skills, pushing one’s limitations is a good thing.  I’ll be a better knitter for having done these socks.
Another thing about this pattern--I was sure these wouldn’t be comfortable.  Lumpy, from all the yarn-over holes and knit-two-togethers, socks more for show than for coddling the feet.  Boy, was I wrong.  The Soxx Appeal yarn has sufficient spring and, for lack of a better word, fluffiness, to cover all the texture this complicated pattern brings.  I was willing to endure the sock’s discomfort for its obvious beauty, but now I happily discover I have the best of both worlds!  Kudos to Amy at FiberWild for such a feat (come on now, you saw that one coming a mile away, didn’t you?)!
I’ve just reached the point in the pattern where you switch to size 3 needles to keep the tension comfortable for calves.  Thanks for thinking of that--constricted calves make for one cranky Allie, and my husband will tell you that is a condition to be avoided at all costs.
This will be the first DestiKNITions Knit Along to require a seventh segment, so you’ll get one more installation from me next week as I finish up this splendid sock.
Then, it’s on to the hidden gem of Jeffersonville, Indiana for some surprising finds just north of Louisville (how did I miss that on my November trip to Louisville??)

No comments: