Monday, May 30, 2011

Knit Along: Arched Gusset Sock from FiberWild - Day 4

Women Who Should Stare More At Heels...

I should know, by now, never to publicly boast about my competency in any knitting skill.   Did I get the heel turned and the heel flap done?  Yes.  And, in the end, it came out fine, although I will admit to no small amount of...well...fudging to get there.  I got cocky, trying to tackle this while watching Men Who Stare At Goats.  Turning heels is not exactly “let’s take in a flick” knitting.  One should concentrate.  All those short rows can be befuddling if you loose your place.
My folly makes a good point, though.  Every knitter ought to know how to turn a heel.  It’s a concept that looks exasperating on paper, but once you’ve done it, you understand the basic concept.  Yes, I lost my place.  More than once.  But because I knew what the end result was supposed to look like, I could work my way back without having to rip the whole thing out and start over.   As it was, I went on a bit of a detour, but eventually found my way back to the pattern’s intent and made it through unscathed.  That’s the beauty of knitting--it’s essentially forgiving in most parts.  
I’m deeply aware, however, that the patterns above the ankle will not extend to me the same grace.  But I’ll know enough to keep the DVR off while I knit.

No comments: