Saturday, August 14, 2010

Knit Along: Plymouth Yarn Market Bag from Knitorious - DONE!

Done!
And no, the perfect totable object has not appeared.  But I am undaunted.  The ideal opportunity will no doubt present itself.
I love the color.  I love the elasticity and shape of the bag itself.  The handles? Not so much.  I suspect, though, that this has more to do with my choice of cast-on method used in the handle production than any flaw in the pattern.  I chose the easy backwards e-loop cast on, and it doesn’t have the right amount of elasticity--I suspect a more flexible cast on would have been a better choice.  One side of the handle is definitely tighter than the other, which makes for a bit of discomfort if the bag contains something heavy.  Are iPads heavy?
Anyway, the real entertainment in this project was just how close we cut it.  Observe the amount of yarn left over when I was done.  Or, more precisely, observe how little yarn was left over--just about a yard.  That’s shaving it pretty close...my pulse went up a bit on the last two rows as I watched that ball of yellow-blue yarn get exasperatingly small.
I chose to put a little fray-stop on each knot, knowing this was a cotton yarn, just to keep things in line.  It’s really quite a charming bag, but I’ll reserve my complete infatuation for after it’s been filled and put to good use.
Next up?  The dramatic Elizabethan Collar from Kirkwood Knittery.