Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Knit-Along: Entrelac Scarf from A Tangled Skein - Day 3

Fear my bidirectional knitting!

I did it!

I figured out how to knit backwards. All by myself, just me and my brain cells.

Now, I admit anyone watching me on the airplane might have wondered why it was that I stared≈ repeatedly at the front and then the back of my knitting, stuck a needle in here, stuck a needle in there, looked at it some more, tried a different direction, etc. It was sort of like writing your name in a mirror or the first time you tried to parallel park--all do and do-over.

And, quite frankly, it’s anybody’s guess if I’m actually faster doing this than turning so many times in a row, but it’s certainly more peaceful. And less poky, if I’m sitting next to you on an airplane (or, given my last entry, in church). I think I’ll need another six inches or so before I can say that for sure. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

GinnyAiken said...

Don't know whether to cyberhug ya or test the Chicago roads to go throttle you. You knew after I spent the whole conference lusting after your luscious knitted goodies I would come home, plop myself on the couch, and get back to knitting. Which is exactly what I did. I now have about half a prayer shawl in that gorgeous Homespun Barley yarn. Dunno how dh feels--not gonna ask ;-)

Kimberly and Rufus said...

Isn't it the best natural high ever when you figure out a tough yarncrafting skill? Congrats!

Linda B said...

I had that same triumphant feeling when I learned how to knit backwards. It was for a seemingly endly knitted-on border. Now, every time I have to do it, I think I'll have to relearn, but amazingly my fingers remember the drill and it goes almost as fast as forwards knitting.