Wednesday, September 21, 2016

September Reader Who Knits: Sherri Gallagher

It's time for this month's Reader Who Knits feature.  Say hello to Sherri Gallagher, a reader, an author, and a knitter.

Sherri, what are you working on right now? 
I am trying to make mittens to go with the balaclava I talk about below. It is tough going!

What feels like your favorite/greatest knitting accomplishment? 
The most difficult was a balaclava for dog owners working dogs in the winter. I made a one for every member of our search and rescue team. I am trying to make mittens to match but I've started over about 6 times now. I bought a different sized needles to see if that will get the gauge closer to the pattern. My favorite was a simple baby blanket. A friend had her baby at 27 weeks and it was touch and go for a very long time. I wanted to do something special so I knit a simple blanket and said a prayer for the baby and his parents with each row. He is now a happy, healthy 14 month old and I got back to knitting after a 40 year break. 

What feels like the worst knitting mistake/foible/wrong choice youve ever made? Trying to knit mittens! It seems like they end up doll size or something a giant would wear.

Straight needles or circular? 
So far I've had the best success with circular needles - I keep losing stitches off the back end with the straight ones.

Metal or wood needles? 
I just bought a set of wood ones that are so pretty. Up to this point All I've used are metal. The yarn moves nicely on the metal and I hope it will be the same on the wood ones.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate? 
Dark chocolate!

Coffee or tea? I was a coffee drinker for years and I love my Kuerig. The problem is I have to avoid caffeine to protect my bone density. It is hard to find unflavored coffee in decaf and the environmentalist in me abhors the wasteful plastic cups. I got the reusable ones and that worked great then a couple of years ago I found a local shop that sold decaf lavender earl grey tea and I was hooked. So now more tea than coffee. 


Whats your favorite Allie novel? 
I guess Falling for the Fireman, but all of her work is well written and worth reading multiple times and giving as gifts.

What are you reading now? 

Do you have a favorite knitting character from a book, movie, or television show? Hmm, you got me on this one. One of the reasons I like Allie's books is that her characters knit. I really don't see that in other books I read.


Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store: 
Unraveled Yarn Shop in Wauconda was a huge help when I was getting back into knitting. I couldn't have done it without their help. Unfortunately they just closed but they have a website and give knitting lessons at the library. 

Sherri wins ten hanks of Cascade 220 in Puget Sound and a copy of The Firefighter's Match for being featured.  She also won a copy of Family lessons for a friend.  If you'd like to be featured on DestiKNITions, email me at allie@alliepleiter.com for details.

No comments: