Wednesday, June 15, 2016

June Reader Who Crochets: Amy Drown

The third Wednesday of each month we chat with someone who shares our love of books and yarn. DestiKNITters, say hello to Amy Drown.


Amy, what are you working on right now? 
I’ve actually had to pack up all my craft supplies at the moment because I just received a new job that requires me to move in a few weeks! But I was about to start on a new tartan afghan in colors that will (hopefully!) mimic one of my family’s clan tartans (I’m Scottish on both sides!).

What feels like your favorite/greatest crochet accomplishment? 
Definitely my first tartan afghan (see picture above)… because it came out square! :-) I’m terrible at keeping my loops and rows uniform. My cat, Rob Roy, however, is fond of the first one I ever completed, a large bedspread with a fun diamond pattern (see picture).

What feels like the worst crochet mistake/foible/wrong choice youve ever made? 
So I attempted this great red, white and blue patriotic afghan with a great border and star-shaped cutouts and… well, afghans aren’t supposed to be trapezoidal. It was so bad, Goodwill wouldn’t even take it, and a coworker ended up using it to pad a box for her dog to have puppies in!

Do you have a favorite yarn you like to work with? 
No, I’m afraid I’m still too new and inexperienced in the craft to be this particular! Anything soft and abundant enough to handle my myriad mistakes and do-overs!

Metal or wood crochet needles? 
Um… is it terrible if I didn’t even know crochet hooks came in wood? I’ve only ever used metal or, when I was a kid, plastic!

White chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate? 
I like all three! Lately my grab-and-go has been the Hershey’s white chocolate cookies ‘n’ cream.

Coffee or tea? 
Tea. Always and forever tea. Black, with milk and sugar. 

Whats your favorite Allie novel? 



What are you reading now? 
All Waiting Is Long by Barbara J. Taylor





Do you have a favorite stitching character from a book, movie, or television show? 
Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Our skills are about the same.



Give a shout out to your favorite local yarn store:
The Knit ‘n Needle Yarn Shoppe
14 Lupfer Ave
Whitefish, MT 59937

As her prize for being featured, Amy chose a copies of Yukon Wedding for both herself and a friend.  Thanks to our friends as Cascade Yarns, Amy also gets 10 hanks of Cascade 220 in Silver Grey.  If you would like to be featured as a Reader Who Knits or Crochets, contact me at allie@alliepleiter.com for details.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for inviting me to visit today, Allie! :-)