Thursday, February 26, 2015

Zoom Loom Shelby Sheep Kit from The Woolery - Day 2

Blah Blah Black Sheep...

This isn't nearly as much fun in plain old black.  While I love the crazy colors that make up the "fleece" on this sheep (and I still haven't quite figured out how that bit works, even though I've read the directions twice) the body is all black.  After my fun green squares, that feels boring.

Don't get me wrong--I understand the need for the base color.  That doesn’t mean I have to like it.  I’m not having enough fun...yet.

To be fair, this is no fault of the kit.  It’s just that even in knitting, all black is always a bit of a challenge.  It's hard to see the stitches.  That's just as true of the collection of five squares I've woven to date.  I've taken to weaving it with something light on my lap to help me see the necessary details.  I've gotten to the point where I can make a square in front of the television (I can knock out a square in the span of a "Big Bang Theory" episode), but I still need the directions in front of me in order to navigate the tricky corners correctly.  The skill is still new enough that it isn't peaceful, but it is repetitive enough to feel tedious.  Maybe this is the reason granny squares never caught on with me and why I loathe to do laundry—I dislike doing the same thing over and over.  

Hey, wait, isn't that exactly what knitting is?


Sigh.  It’s a fiber mystery.  And one that will continue, since I’ve got four more squares to go. 

No comments: