Wednesday, June 12, 2013

“Selbucozy” bottle cozy from The Sow’s Ear - Day 4

Lives are not at stake here...

The nice thing about this pattern is that it comes in two parts--one for just a can cozy, the other with an additional top collar to grace your bottle of suds.  We drink our brew in bottles around here, so now I’m heading into the top part of the pattern.  It should go much faster, seeing as I start decreasing in a few rows.

My only fault with this pattern--and I can’t even say it’s a fault of the pattern when you get right down to it--is that mistakes show up clearly.  You can see where I’ve botched it.  I tried once to go down and pick up the stitch--essentially to swap it out for the other color carried behind it--but it ended up being more noticable in the fix than the original mistake.  And of course I don’t find my mistakes until I’m five or six rows up, demanding an hour’s worth of ripouts and restitches.  I’ve never been a perfectionist, so I’m just not willing to invest that kind of time if it’s not a glaring error.  

This does not speak well of my character, I know that.   Lives, however, are not at stake here.  This is knitting.  This is supposed to be fun.

A friend joked that after the second beer, no one will notice the error anyway.  If the point is to keep my bottle cozy, the goal will still be accomplished.  It’s like our wedding photographer told us on our wedding day, “If you end the day as Mr. and Mrs., then the goal that matters most is accomplished--everything else is just details.”

When I think of it, some of our most treasured wedding photographs are the “outtakes.”

Good advice in life--and in knitting.


No comments: