Saturday, May 4, 2013

Squiggle Lace Shawl with yarn from Homestead Wool and Gift Farm - Day 1

If at first you don't succeed...


Squiggle lace has not worked for me in the past.  I love it in the photographs--it looks so delicate and textured.  Then I knit it up, and mine looks like seaweed caught up in a poorly made fishing net.

When I saw the lush, thick, undulating chocolate brown of the yarn from Homestead farm, I knew I had to give it another try.  It’s spring, after all, and I wasn’t willing to relegate this wool to a thick winter cowl.  I wanted to give it some chance to hang out with a lighter texture.

Normally, squiggle lace utilizes a single, non-turning row of thicker yarn intersperced with several rows of a much thinner yarn. 
I wasn’t happy with the results of a single row, so I used two rows (up and back, as it were).  This means I ended up with more of a ridge than a squiggle, but I liked it that way.

As I thicken the piece with more rows, I think the space between the thick brown ridges will lengthen.  Blocking will do the same.  The only thing I don’t know is how the piece will lengthen out once I get it off the needles. 

I’ll just have to wait and see.

No comments: