Sunday, March 24, 2013

Diana’s Aran Shawl from Three Black Sheep - Day 3


The promise to be stunning...

Simpler, huh?  Eh, not so much.  Not for me.  That’s knitting for you--every time I get cocky those needles put me in my place.

It took me no less than four tries, a YouTube search, and staying up late past my mild-mannered middle-aged bedtime to figure out how this Trinity stitch worked.  

Once I got it, it took me about four inches of stitching to place it firmly enough in my memory to leave the pattern behind.  So while my mind got a break, it wasn’t immediate.

Of course, the Trinity stitch was the third panel.  It’s the perfect place for it in the sequence. 

Like most good wool garments, this one is going to change significantly when it is blocked.

  If you look at the photo, the cable portion narrows in width, and the garter stitch dividing lines are a bit rippled.  All of that will even out once this shawl is blocked.  This is also true of the yarn’s texture, which is a bit scratchy now but will soften, I hope, when it meets water.

it’s beautiful, and interesting, and highly textured now.  It promises to be stunning when it’s finished.

No comments: