Thursday, August 9, 2012

Honey Cowl from Cream City Yarn - Day 4


Knit yourself some life juice...

Small projects are portable.  My handbag (always, always chosen for its ability to carry my life AND my knitting) was bulging with the addition of the Multi-Textured Vest.  I’m delighting in how easily this cowl slips into my purse without making me feel like a Chicago Suburban Mary Poppins.  Like socks or mittens, or hats, cowls tuck nicely into our everyday existence.


More than their portability, however, is their progress.  The sense of accomplishment I feel, the excited “almost done” feeling you get when you’re sure you’ll have the thing finished by the week end--doesn’t that fuel your energy?  I think it’s the sense of finishing that makes such a counterbalance to the endless stress of mothering--or any other caretaking for that matter.  Face it: some things in life feel endless.  Marathons of effort with no clear finish line.  Often, life hands us “ends” to such endurance races--elder parents pass away, children grow up and move off--but they don’t often feel like “finishes.”


The control freak in me likes finishing.  Especially when I can do it on my terms.  There’s an old publishing saying, “I don’t much like writing, but I love having written.”  That’s me.  I’m the kind of gal who makes lists because she loves checking tasks off.  Don’t get me wrong, I adore the process of knitting from start to finish.  It’s just that I get an extra boost of "life juice" when I can see the finish coming toward me.


Like lots of knitting truths, this one applies to life as well.  If you’re facing a marathon of sorts--and life seems all to ready to hand us one these days--where in your knitting can you fuel your sense of accomplishment?  What’s near finishing that you can take that final mile (or is it yard)?   Stitch yourself up a boost of life juice this week and watch what happens.

1 comment:

Kimberly and Abby said...

Heh, I don't like riding our bike, but I love how I feel after the ride is over. :-) As for yarny projects, my new job takes up so much of my energy that little is left to do fun stuff. So I have a long term project going, and then a chunky scarf that's crocheting up gratifyingly quickly.