Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lovikka Mittens from Three Bags Full - Done!


Double Digits!

Mittens are so conflicting for me.  They never, ever come out identical, and my control freak nature wars against the injustice.  This is why I prefer to do two-at-once on circ’s--it makes me nuts when they don’t come out exactly like each other.  

Oh, don’t get me wrong, these are close. It’s only the fingertips that really don’t match, but aren’t those the most visual part of any mitten?  Sigh.  And the thumbs, they’re not identical.  Close, but not identical.  

Structurally, I need to reaffirm that these are great mittens.  Nice and snug, warm, well tailored.  

Then, we get to the decorative stitching.  

Let’s just say decorative stitching can never be called a strength of mine.  Granted, this is my first attempt, and I’m reverse-engineering off the product photo, not specific instructions on the pattern.  So, were I not the knitting perfectionist that I am (which is funny, because I’m not a perfectionist in any other area of my life--any psych students want to take a crack at that one?), I could cut myself some slack.  But I don’t.  I want it to look like the photo, not like my handiwork.

Wait a minute, wait a minute, we’re missing the key point here!  There’s something huge to celebrate: there are TWO mittens.  I have a closet of single mittens to attest to the importance of this achievement.  I didn’t make them simultaneously and yet still managed to make both of them!  Hooray!  Given the choice between a perfect single and an imperfect pair, I’ll go with the double digit warmers.  
Next up, we travel to Louisiana...land of alligators, hospitality, and pie.  Ahh.

No comments: