Sunday, January 8, 2012

Diagonal Rib Infinity Scarf from Stitch(es) - Day 5

Before we begin, let's take a moment to recognize this is my 250th post.  Wow.  Who'd have thunk it??? I hope you've enjoyed the journey as much as I have!  We now return to the subject at hand:


Heading for the final curl...


I’m finally at the end of that l-o-n-g expanse of knit-5-purl-3.  The diagonal ribbing truly ads something special to the piece.  I can’t say until I’ve put it on, but I believe it will factor in how the scarf will drape around my neck.  I certainly know will feel soft and warm.  It’s been an eerily warm winter so far in Chicago...and I can’t help thinking payback is on the way.

Given my druthers, I’d suppose I’d opt to make it a bit wider.  I only received one skein of the Shibui Baby Alpaca, but it doesn’t seem to be enough to make it the full 7+ inches called for in the pattern.  I had to measure out the far end of the yarn.  I felt I needed to mark a “stopping point” to make sure I'd reserved enough yardage to do the five rows of stockinette.  I want that clever roll I need to match the beginning edge.  

It’s fine the way it is, but some part of me would prefer another three inches or so of width.  It feels like 10 inches to play with would be optimal.  It’s just a hunch--I haven’t gotten it around my neck yet.  And, let’s not forget that a wider scarf would mean three more inches of endless knit-5-purl-3 and I’m really done with that.

My original charm with this project still holds:  it’s a cute basic taken up a notch with some thoughtful pattern design.  Well worth a try--especially if the Chicago winter’s about to have its way.

No comments: