Saturday, July 9, 2011

Knit Along: Pimpelliese Shawlette from Grinny Possum - Day 3

The trouble with triangles...

The trouble with triangle shawls is that they get wider.

Actually, the trouble with me is that I get wider, but we won't get into that just now.

In a triangle shawl, the rows take longer and longer as you work toward the middle.  Middles are hard enough to muddle through--in knitting and in novels--without them getting more tedious with inches and inches of green garter stitch.   Any number of creative processes drag in the middle, knitting isn’t exempt.  I’m choosing to remember here, how garter stitch can be quieting and meditative in its simplicity. I’m choosing to look forward to when the rows get smaller, to how it will feel like I’m speeding up as I garter-stich toward the decreasing rows of this shawl's other end.   Won't that be nice! 
This shawl is the total opposite of my last sock.  It never ceases to amaze me how the diversity of DestiKNITions projects works so beautifully without my planning it.  After a brain-bending sock, the simple nature of this shawl is the perfect next effort.  Knitting takes so many different shapes, forms, and complexities--that’s why it’s a lifetime’s worth of hobby.  There’s always something new to learn, something new to try.

No comments: