Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Knit Along: Super Scarf from Broad Ripple Knits - Day 2

Admiration or Apathy?

This is kind of like jumbo entrelac, only you don’t have to pick up stitches.  Triangles (rather than squares) mean you’re only adding one at the beginning of an inbound row and knitting two together at the end.  The outbound rows are straight knitting.  Which means, television fans, that you only have to really look down twice every two rows.  I can live with that.  Don't want to miss parts of GLEE.
The yarn has a wonderful elasticity to it.  Great spring and texture.  And the bold geometry of this pattern gives it a lot of punch.  Tonight, my son looked at me and said, “what’s that?”  When I told him it was a Super Scarf, and explained what that meant, I actually saw a flicker of admiration in his eyes.  Of course, being a teenage boy, that might have only been apathy.  I’m going with the “glass half full” interpretation that my son actually thinks it’s cool his mom’s scarf is going to the Superbowl.
I can’t decide if I like the fact that the line between the diagonal color changes isn’t consistent.  It looks different on each side--which means it alternates from a very clean line to one sort of sawtoothed.  I have an urge to cover the sawtoothed one up with some kind of overstitching, but I don’t know if I’ll actually do that. I might grow to like it by the end of the scarf.
This project makes for great fan gear.  It’s just begging to be done up in school colors or team colors.  Or, I suppose, a progression of a color scheme or even a rainbow.  I suppose it could even be a stash-buster, but you’d have to be sure it was all the same weight yarn or the edges would get sloppy.  Black & White? Red White & Blue?  The possibilities are endless.  Ah, but for Super Scarves, there can only be blue and white.  It will be amazing to see the mass of collective creativity when it shows up in the stadium.


1 comment:

Kimberly and Abby said...

The sawtooth line reminds me of quilting somehow. I like it.