Saturday, September 4, 2010

Knit Along: Elizabethan Collar from Kirkwood Knittery - DONE!

Knitting as Self-Improvement
Knitting is a good thing for me.  It helps me with my pesky delayed gratification problem.  Projects like this one, which need to be blocked before they look anything like they’re supposed to, strengthen my oh-so-weak patience muscle.  Sticking the gazillion pins in this thing so it would stretch out and dry right seemed so tedious.  And then I had to wait overnight.  Grr.
But the results are lovely.  Sometimes a full length scarf of a highly textured shawl are just too much for a given jacket or shirt.  You just need a little something.  If I wore necklaces--which I don’t, because I’d much rather wear a shawl or scarf--that’d be the right touch.  This is, for lack of a better metaphor, a knitted necklace.  It’d give a pretty scoop-neck t-shirt just the panache it needed.  Or add a hint of artistry to a boring jacket.  I wonder how it would look over a cowl or a turtleneck?  Would the lines be wrong or would it add a nice dimension?  It’s still a bit too warm to try that experiment.  
See that cute button?  I tried to go for a bit of subtlety on the button, but now I sort of regret it.  I think if I find something with a bit more “pow,” I may replace it.  Something vintage and silvery but not too heavy. 
It was a good traveling project, whipped up with just enough interest and at a quick pace. Thanks, Kirkwood Knittery!  I’ll do this one again, but in one of those multi-color yarns next time.  
Next up?  A pair of nifty socks from Hearthstone Knits. 

No comments: