Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Knit Along: Mystery Pattern Neck Comforter from Knitche - Day 4

Oh, NOW I get it...sort of...

Kathy’s been kind enough to explain the intentional pooling concept further. I get it, sort of, but I’m actually quite satisfied
not to really get it, because the artist in me enjoys the mystery. But I have to admit, now I’m curious about the “argyle-ish” pattern and have an urge to do it again with something in stockinette just to see what she means. I may need to take her class.

Here’s Kathy:
“For the intentional pooling, basically you are just determining the exact number of stitches (in your chosen stitch pattern, with your chosen needle) that will fit into one repeatable color sequence of the yarn. Pooling happens when colors stack from one row to the next, so if we plan it out we can capitalize on this to create an interesting pattern. For the neck scarf, we are using 1/2 the "magic number" for a full repeat of the color sequence for Lorna's Laces worsted. Fisherman's Rib effectively stacks every other row (because of the slipped stitches and purl troughs) so we still get the pooling with this number. If we had knit stockinette, we would also get an interesting color pattern, but it would be more like argyle. This technique only works for yarns dyed in a repeatable sequence (i.e. dip or kettle-dyed, or painted in wide bands across the skein).”

Whether or not this clears up the concept for you, I hope you give the pattern a try. I’m having loads of fun watching the color stack up. Kind of like tie-die without the mess. I love the big splashes of pooling separated by a band of stripes and then back to big color splashes. And I love that we’ve transformed a problem into an asset. If only we could pull that off in life as well as we have in this yarn.

No comments: