Saturday, July 3, 2010

Knit Along: Mystery Pattern Neck Comforter from Knitche - Day 2

Not the airline, or the dance, but...

This is another of those patterns that make excellent use of continental style knitting. When asked to switch from knit to purl repeatedly, it truly is faster to “do the continental.” If you haven’t taken the time to learn how to be, as I put it, “ambiknixterous,” make time. Knitche, along with many other fine yarn establishments, offers a class to get you started. Will you grunt and make faces and grimace when your hands cramp up from the effort? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Absolutely.

But keep in mind, continental works best with sharp-tipped needles. I’m not convinced I could do it with a rounder tip like an Addi (unless you've got the lace point) or the Peace Fleece needles I talked about at String Theory. If you’re looking for an excuse to splurge on the Signature stiletto points, this might be it. Then again, who waits for excuses?

I find myself grinning as I watch the colors pool, feeling like I’m breathing Kathy’s secret formula into life. It’s got to be some complicated mathematical calculation, I’m sure. And, well, let’s just say numbers aren’t my strong suit. In any case, I’m going to see if I can get her to explain it to me. Or perhaps it might be more precise to say I’m hoping I can understand it when she explains it to me. I know it’s got something to do with the length of the color repetitions in the colorway, but after that, I’m lost.

Like a baby hat, one the charms of this project is the quick, satisfying progress. Even though it’s July and I’m not likely to need a neck warmer soon (although I’ve been in some frigid hotels this summer...I doubt their A/C bill realizes there’s a financial crisis going on!), I’m looking forward to seeing this all finished up and ready to wear. Perhaps a trip to Australia where it’s currently winter? I could set a book there, and Kathy has told me all kinds of interesting stuff about her recent trip to New Zealand.

Wouldn’t THAT make the best DestiKNITion episode!

No comments: