Sunday, September 27, 2009

Knit-Along: Entrelac Scarf from A Tangled Skein - Day 4


I’m zipping along on this project now! My backwards knitting has settled into a comfortable skill, and it’s really, really nice not to be swapping this thing back and forth every half-dozen stitches. I still turn it for the into-the-front-and-the-back increases of the row-ending triangles, but I can live with that. I also don’t have to look at the directions hardly ever now, except just to check that I’ve remembered how to do the end triangles correctly.


I’m loving how the color-way plays out over the rectangles. It’s like knitting a piece of stained glass. Even the switch from one ball to the next went off smoothy. I’m still a bit worried about the scratchy quality--it’s a bit rough--but this is also a thickness and colorway that’s decidedly winter, so if I have to confine its wear to over a turtleneck or as a warmth-rather-than-decorative scarf, I think I’ll be able to live with that. I may even get all generous-type and give this one away as a holiday gift (yes, I admit it, I’m a pretty selfish knitter--with the exception of the prayer shawl ministry that I run at my church, I knit to adorn myself). This yarn would make an excellent hat, too. And I could imagine the entrelac gracing the cuff of some really spectacular mittens. I can see why it's so popular.


Thanks for all your comments on in-church knitting--I’m finding this a fascinating discussion. Keep it up!


And add a new question: where wouldn’t you knit? Why?

1 comment:

Kimberly and Rufus said...

At big family gatherings, I avoid bringing my WIPs. Trying to keep up with everyone and crochet would be difficult. I do crochet if I'm just hanging out with, say, my-laws. I can talk and crochet if it's not a demanding pattern or conversation.